Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A little Tuesday News

There is a gruesome and sad story unfolding just over the border of my fair city in the depths of hell known as Gary, Indiana. The story goes like this....car with four black teenage boys crashes early Saturday morning, two manage to crawl out and tell the cops that respond that two more are still in the ravine. Cops do nothing. Story gets out that cops ignored two survivors, uncle of one of the victims goes to crash site the next day and finds his dead nephew in less than 5 minutes. Cops still make no statement. Monday cops release statement that boys were drunk, they were not coherent and that they did look for the other two but found nothing at the scene. Coroners report comes out that the other two died instantly.

I was not there so I don't know if the cops looked for the other two. I don't know the state of the two that crawled out of the ravine. What I do know is that the overall feel from the reporting is that Gary is sticking with the statement that it does not matter what the cops did that night since the boys were dead anyway. This is what disturbs me. Statements like this...

  • "I'm telling [the officer] about my injuries and my two friends and the accident, and he tells me to sit on the curb,"
  • But Gary Police Chief Thomas Houston pointed out that no matter how fast the department's response had been, neither Green nor Smith could have been saved.
  • "Law enforcement did not cause this accident and these deaths,"

Law enforcement might not have caused the death but they sure as hell didn't do a damn thing to prevent them either. The family of at least one of the boys is reported to have an independent autopsy done. I will be interested to see the results of it.

In more worldly news, it looks like Iraq is threatening to kick out all the Blackwater guards running rampant in their country. A friend and I had a conversation about it last night with the final thought being they will probably just reincorporate, rename themselves, and saunter right back in....So readers here is a poll for you - what do you think the new name will be?

No comments: