Wednesday, September 26, 2007

From scary to heartwarming...it's the news of the day

Just a few news links to round out the day...
First - in league with my previous post about being able to be fired for smoking, it now turns out that I can be denied a home because of my appearance. At this point, I still qualify for housing in Texas, but some day (soon if I can ever get the money) I may cross over the line of acceptable tattooage.

Second - this one falls into the no fucking kidding section of news items. Looks like a year ago a small town in New Jersey decided they had had enough of all this immigration nonsense and passed a bunch of laws prohibiting the hiring or housing illegal immigrants. Shock and awe to everyone, the members of the town that fit into this category vacated leaving boarded up businesses and vacant properties up and down main street. Now the town is saying maybe we didn't think this thing through enough and is back peddling on its decision.
Most disturbing quote from the article? Former Mayor, Charles Hilton - “The business district is fairly vacant now, but it’s not the legitimate businesses that are gone,” he said. “It’s all the ones that were supporting the illegal immigrants, or, as I like to call them, the criminal aliens.”

And finally third - on a much happier note, a darling story out of Boston where one guy got really creative in a marriage proposal. I don't do crosswords, but if any guy I knew was smart enough to come up with this idea, he would definitely be worth something.

No comments: