Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Part time jobs

Warning: This post contains slightly strong language.

Some fucked up shit happens in Chicago every day (so much for the self censoring). This time it has happened to someone I know. Of course the version I got was much more detailed, but since it's not my story to tell I won't divulge any more than the article lays out for you here. The short of it is the teachers in this school (my friend included) will be receiving their last paychecks on Friday. Bam. That's it. No warning, no preparation. Just a big fuck you from the charter school system. So if anyone knows of a good, relaxing, non stressful part time summer job that needs to be filled in the Chicago vicinity please feel free to let me know. Or if you have a connection with a school in the area that won't fuck it's teachers over - that would also be helpful.

I can't even imagine what it is like to not have a paycheck when I am legally employed. I've heard of these stories, even had friends that worked in slightly shady situations where paychecks were less than dependable, but never have I lived through it myself. Every job I've had it has been as regular as the sun rising that I would receive a paycheck every other week, or the first and the fifteenth, or whatever schedule the structure determined. I've never worked a job based on commission - the closest I've been is waitressing, but even then I got my $2.34 an hour (though after taxes it often wasn't worth it to pay the $5 fee to cash at the bank across the street if you didn't have an account somewhere else). It boggles my mind in a way that I can't begin to grasp, and I don't like that.

The logical, idea forming side of my brain has to believe that a plan will be worked out. Concessions will be made and lives may be altered for the next few months, but in the end she will make it. Thank god it's summer and the idea of walking places is not so formidable. The other side of me, the side that is ruled by my heart and my emotions though is wrecked. That side just doesn't understand how crazy, fucked up shit like this happens to good people. People who go out and try and make a difference in this crazy fucked up world.

So, I've had my rant - mini as it may be. Thanks for reading/listening and again, if you have a dog that needs walking or some other gig that you know of, feel free to let me know and I will pass along the information.

No comments: