Saturday, June 21, 2008

Garage sale challenges

I have a friend in town so while I take a quick smoke break in the other room I thought I'd throw up a quick post. Today after coffee in the rain we saw a garage sale sign pointing us a few blocks south of our current location so of course we had to check it out. She ended up with a picture frame and a shirt for her boyfriend (which I think she will actually keep) and I walked away with 3 books and 8 CD's for $10. Not that I really need CD's but I felt it was good karmic payback to help someone unload their leftovers...and I got Public Enemy which just makes me smile.

As for the books, there were mostly baby books and computer programming which while tempting I felt I could leave behind. I did however find The Confusion by Neal Stephenson. I snatched it up when I saw the author after my love of Snow Crash. But then I saw it was book two of The Baroque Cycle. Yup, the same Baroque Cycle as this post. Did I dare try and add it to my arsenal of 2008? Plus it was book two - that did me no good. But, always up for a challenge, and never one to pass down books for a dollar, I added it to my stack and now I am a third of the way to taking on Stephenson's epic. Once my current binge is done (supplied by the fine folks at Printers Row) I think I might have to throw a summer gathering where I invite Mr. and Mrs. Schmidlap to come and plan on promising to trade my fantastic punch for the opportunity to borrow book one.

2 comments:

schmidlap said...

Kick ass!

I can't imagine how book 2 would read not knowing anything about book 1. Would love to hear about it.

I've bogged down *big time* trying to get into book 3. Too much life/kid/work madness (hence low blog output, too). And it's also just a tough start -- maybe 10 years have passed since the end of book 2 and he's catching us up with a lot of expository stuff, which is wordy and slow.

Then again, I'm wordy and slow, so there shouldn't be a problem.

In any case, I would love to hear your thoughts on it when you're done!

Robguy said...

I've picked up books out of order in a series when I've found a good deal. They just wait on the shelf for their predecessor to be found.

Where were you when we were moving? We didn't have a yard sale but we had friends walk thru and put dibs on anything they wanted for cheap. It really got me in my dumpster diving heart to throw away as much as we did. My sister and St. Vinnies really made out. I don't even want to talk about the 1.75 truckloads to 1800gotjunk. Oh yeah, you were in Chicago :)

That's a good load for $10. Have a good week!