Thursday, March 13, 2008

Weekend Wrap Up

Well I am headed to vacation tomorrow for 5 glorious days so I figured I'd better do a quick, random thoughts in my head kind of post so I can clear it all out the way and simply relax for the next hundred hours or so.

First - right now the vote is one for and one against my plan to bring 5 pairs of shoes on vacation with me. Technically it would mean packing four pairs and wearing one - the breakdown is one pair of tennis shoes, one pair of low-top chucks, and three pairs of dress shoes. See I have to attend a wedding while I'm there and I think I should have options when the time comes to get ready....plus dress shoes are tiny(ish), right?

Next up - like the film industry needs any more of my damn money. I feel this is just some ploy to reach into my wallet and take an extra $15 from me, but like shiny advertising I am sure I will fall for it when the release date arrives. I read the book - forgot the beginning before I got to the end kind of read - so can't say with any authority if the claim that "there's just too much information for one movie" has any validity.

Want to see a picture of the cutest dogs ever? Come on, you know you do. Just click any one of the obnoxious word combos that I've made into links here in this paragraph. I like to claim they are my dogs, and while technically I did find them, they are 110% my mom's now. Awww, man I miss those guys.

In the news world there is the whole Spitzer thing - but really does anyone need to hear more about that? Didn't think so. I did however find this really depressing and scary section of the online Chicago Tribune. The section, titled "The Blotter", has a tagline that reads "Short takes on local crime and mayhem". The top headlines?


  • South Side man charged in weekend slaying

  • 2 shot on West Englewood street

  • Man robs LaSalle Bank branch in loop

  • Body found in garbage can in Englewood alley

Not exactly a warm and fuzzy section to start your morning.

Book update - 249 books owned (in Chicago). 15 books read so far this year (and almost done with #16).

That's all folks - I'm out for the great state of Oregon. If I get a chance I'll do a traveling hello from the West Coast. Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

schmidlap said...

Have a great trip...I see you're on to another Stephenson book! You're an addict now, it's like meth. You'll know you're at the teeth turning black/hair falling out stage when you pick up The Baroque Cycle, look at the 2700 pages before you, and dive in.

"Zodiac" is one I haven't read; looking forward to a review.