Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Train evacuations and weddings

This morning at the Armitage stop (for those not in Chicago, this is not really anywhere near enough to my work for me to walk from) my train was evacuated. First it was stopped and after a few minutes we got the "sick passenger" announcement. Then a few moments later we were all asked to leave the train. 7:55 on the brown line meant a full ass train emptied out on to the platform. Eventually they rolled the train back so another train could get by (which was way too full to even try and squeeze on) but in the mean time I stood on the platform with this immense crowd as a red line train pulled by on the outer track. The red line was possibly even more crowded than the train I just stepped off and as it pulled by it stopped right across from me. It was like animals in a zoo...on both sides. We just stared at each other, separated by glass, wind and 10 feet of electric track, trapped in our own worlds dangerously overlapping the worlds of those around us. Eventually my (now empty) train took care of getting the passenger to the paramedics and rolled back up to let us all back on. Ironically I ended up in the same seat, with the same guy next to me and the same guy standing in the corner, like this weird 20 minutes or so had never happened.

Two weekends ago (sorry no transition, just follow the random jump) I went to Oregon to see a dear friend I haven't seen since my move to the windy city in the summer of 2006. To make a long story short her and her fiance decided to get married while I was there. It was absolutely amazing. I can now add "Ability to plan and execute wedding in under 72 hours" to my resume. And while they did the deed in the local courthouse this was no jeans and t-shirt affair. Full blown gown for the bride, tux for the groom, and maid of honor dress for me. The best part? Two hours later we are all kicked back in jeans having Chinese for lunch. Pics courtesy of the happy couple can be found here and if you want the full crazy detail you can check out mine here (but beware, I took a ton!). It was by far the best wedding I have ever been to (sorry to anyone else's I may have attended) mostly because it was my first real close friend to get married and I got to be an intimate part of it. I still think Vegas is in my future if I decide to take that trek (and of course find someone to take it with!) but if I can't do that, I might have to steal their style.

Last weekend I spent some good old fashioned me time holed up on my couch watching more college ball than was probably necessary. For Easter I ate girl scout cookies. It was fantastic. The Stanford/Marquette game was a nail biter and I can't wait to do it all again this weekend, though this time I might have to get down to the Rail for some brunch and bball action - CBS is starting to tick me off and they have at least half a dozen tvs for my viewing entertainment.

For anyone who still hasn't heard the internet boy date saga let me provide the final update/summary. Sent anonymous missed connection about boy I was interested in. Got busted when said boy actually found the post. Set up date. Had date. Date lasted 16 hours (get your mind out of the gutter, it was actually quite PG...okay maybe PG-13), awkward morning actually went better than expected, had hope for future interactions. Waited for phone call. Phone didn't ring. I called after 4 days and left obligatory "Had good time, hope you did to, we should do it again some time" message. Ran into boy at bar later that night (while with another friend). Had slightly inebriated conversation while outside that consisted of him relaying pretty much all the classic not interested lines in the book, "I have to work, going to parents, I'll call you". Spent some time being bummed, wondering what went wrong, what I did wrong, etc. Got over it and working towards moving on. Tallying it under entertaining stories for later in life.

(Another random jump) Currently listening to Sara Bareilles thanks to Tim and Yael Naim thanks to the damn mac book air commercial. And that's my update for tonight, work is getting back into crazy busy for me so that's why my blogging has been a bit slow (and that whole planning and executing a wedding thing was pretty exhausting). I'll try to do more at home till it gets warm enough to be outside.

No comments: