Monday, August 6, 2007

A little news to start the week

I spent the weekend holed up in my studio apartment and it was great. I read the final Harry Potter book (mock me later if you must) in approximately 24 hours. Started Friday at around 1 p.m and finished Saturday at about a quarter to 2 in the afternoon. And that includes dinner out Friday night. I realized about 10 pages in that I either a) never read book 6 or b) had completely forgotten any and all details but decided to read on anyway. With a book like Harry Potter, it doesn't really matter anyway. Overall it was entertaining, somewhat of a let down, and almost entirely forgettable (by page 450 I had forgotten what had transpired on the first 100 pages). In other words it was exactly what I was looking for in a weekend read.

On to more worldly items....Let me start by saying that I have lost many, many things in my life. I have lost car keys, house keys, books, and papers. I have lost my mind, my virginity, and once in awhile I even thought I had lost my soul in a deal gone wrong. But I am proud to say I have never lost 190,000 of anything. Our government however can not make that same claim. We counted on this side of the water and we counted again on that side and somewhere inbetween almost 200,000 rifles and pistols dissapeared. Just flew away, never to be seen again (felt, but not seen). If I ever lost 200K of anything; pens, notepads, computer files, dollars (all the things I deal with on a daily basis in my own job) I would be fired in an instant. But alas, like so many other government interactions/attrocities (you pick the word) this will most likely go down as an unsettling headline in today's paper, never to be heard from again.


In other, happier news, my long held dream of eventually owning my very own KITT is quickly becoming more than just a hazy, far off idea. Nissan is making a car that will deaccelerate when an accident is approaching. How fucking cool is that. It can also auto correct when you start to fall asleep at the wheell and swerve into other lanes, and has a way to measure the alcohol in your sweat (which even I will admit, is a little creepy). Someday soon I will be able to own a car with a mind and personality of it's own. All I need after that is a hoverboard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sure, losing 190,000 guns sounds bad...but just imagine finding 131 cats.

http://englishrussia.com/?p=1199

yes, there's video. the noise must drive her insane.