Thursday, August 23, 2007

Customer Service?

2 months ago I decided that I should have a back up battery for my digital camera. Too often I have had to shut down my camera to save the battery life and only take a few pictures of an event - no more for me!

So I went down the street to my local Ritz camera store and they were nice and helpful. They did not have my battery in stock so they had to special order it, and while it would take a ridiculously long time to come in, I wouldn't have to pay extra for the special order, so I was pretty much a satisfied customer.

Fast forward a few weeks when I get a phone call saying "Hey, you're battery is in, come on down and pick it up" Wow, I think, that was quick, but hey I'm no complainer! So I head on down and even comment to the guy that I thought it would take a lot longer, don't really remember if he acknowledged/replied but I left feeling everything was fine with the shipping box shoved in my messenger bag.

10 days or so later, box still on my floor as I haven't had to use it yet and I have forgotten to open it, and I get another call from Ritz camera saying my battery is in...um....I already have my battery, so as a concerned customer, I ignore the message (this same nightmare happened when I set up my Internet with one hand not talking to the other so I figured it was something on their end).

2 days ago I open the box in preparation for my upcoming Labor day weekend trip out to the east coast. My camera is an Olympus. The battery was Fuji. The name on the packing slip - Beverly. My name, not Beverly.

So today, on my lunch hour, I go back to Ritz and explain that 2 months ago they sold me a battery, I picked up what they said was my battery, and when I opened the box (granted it was two months later, but that is my prerogative), it turned out to not be my battery. The customer service response? Went something like this.....

Me: See I should have an Olympus battery and this is a Fuji...and this is not me on the slip, you gave me the wrong battery
Clerk (in a tone like I stole something): Ah yes, the other customer came in later and was very upset that her battery wasn't here.
Me: Well, you guys are the ones that gave me the wrong one, and I've been gone and just got back (tiny white lie) and have discovered this error, so I need to exchange this.
Clerk: Luckily we were able to get her the battery she needed.

During all this he is rooting around under the counter trying to find my original purchase....I wait awkwardly, feeling as though I have committed the ultimate crime of sneaking in and switching purchases in order to ruin this guy's day and some poor hapless Fuji camera owner....finally he emerges.

Clerk: Here you go.
Me: Thanks - yep this looks more like the battery that fits in my camera.
Clerk: Lucky you didn't need the extra before now.
Me: Yeah, good it worked out that way.
I exit the store.

Am I wrong to be upset that there was no attempt made by the salesperson to offer me an apology for them fucking this up? They didn't call when Fuji woman came in and they figured out that this had happened. I got no message saying "Hey - we gave you the wrong thing, Come Back!" No, instead I am rudely admonished for not opening my purchase sooner and coming back and fixing their clerks mistake. I think I am done with Ritz, unless my readers can give me a logical argument of why I was in the wrong.

No comments: