Monday, September 8, 2008

96 hours

Well the whirlwind weekend is finally done and I have to admit I'm pretty amazed I survived. My brother, who is moving to a tropical island in 2 weeks, and two of his friends just passed through Chicago for the weekend on one last American road trip before he heads off into the land of sunshine and rum.

They rolled in Thursday afternoon to a wonderful Midwest welcome of rain and general grayness. Not the best way to start a trip, but it worked out okay. I took them out for good, cheap Mexican food and cervezas down the street and then over to the neighborhood bar for the infamous $1.50 PBR night.

Friday consisted of a clearer day and lots and lots of walking. Tried to do the Shedd Aquarium free day but realized once we got there that we weren't the only ones with this great idea. Line was a little too long (and unmoving) so we skipped it and trekked back north for pizza and beer. Friday night was fancy steak dinner at Wildfire (yummm....red meat....) and then eventually to a blues bar in that area and then capped off with some good old 4 am action at the Oakwood.

Saturday we headed down to North Ave Beach for some redbull flugtag action. Got there a bit late due to a train that decided to stop running at Belmont and a pub stop on the walk there. Way too crowded once we arrived, but most of the group got close enough to see a half dozen or so crazy contraptions. Then it was back up north for German fest in Lincoln square, napping and then more German fest (had to refill those $12 steins)...

Seeing a theme here yet anyone?

Sunday we piled into the car with a cooler full of beer and tequila and hit the road for Indianapolis. After4 hours in a parking lot I headed into my first professional football game and watched the Bears kick the crap out of the Colts. Good times. More beer in the parking lot while we waited for the traffic to clear and then finally headed home. Got in about 3:30 a.m. Monday morning.

Now it's 11 and the boys are safely back on the road up to Wisconsin for some end of the summer Dells action and a stop off to see mom. They got some crazy deal that is basically a suite with all you can eat AND drink for $400. They are going to get the most out of that deal. I almost wish I could join them. But I think my liver will thank me if I just stay here.

Now I'm back to bed so I can catch up on the sleep I've missed since Thursday night. Hope everyone else had as exciting a weekend as me.

No comments: