Sunday, September 14, 2008

12 Glasses


Or more specifically 12 glasses, a bowl, and a plastic bag taped to the wall. This is what I have set up to catch the rain that is steadily leaking into my apartment. The past two days it has rained steady. Rock steady for that matter. Not a break in sight. This morning I woke up at 8 a.m. to find that my front window (and thank the gods it was the only one) was leaking. Not a pretty little leak of fresh spring water. No, a dirty, brown, looks like it seeped from under the El tracks kind of drip. I'm closing my eyes and pretending it's just that color because it leached itself from the brick of my building. If you have any other ideas, please do not share them. I like my make believe world.


So for the past 10 hours I have gone through multiple macgyver'd setups including using painter tape to secure napkins to the wall, to simply letting it drip and changing the napkin/padding every five minutes till finally the glass setup is what I settled on. I was pretty proud of the one where I used a paper towel as a wick to lead the water into a taped up plastic sandwich bag...that inspiration came pretty early in the day (mostly because I was having to change that section ever 3 minutes). The fact that it took almost 7 hours to come up with the coffee mug/juice glass plan is a little more embarassing.


So now the rain has stopped yet my walls continue to cry their rusty tears. I'm hoping it will end soon, how much water can my roof hold? Wait, don't answer that either.

No comments: