Monday, October 1, 2007

Zones

A couple of weeks ago, maybe even a month or so, a friend pointed out to me a new tag showing up around Lincoln Square. On every parking meter we saw were these bright yellow stickers that said "Zone 6" on them...after lengthy debate that most certainly centered around fantastic German beer from our neighborhood Hutenbar, we decided they couldn't possibly be tags, no tagger has that much patience or predictability. These stickers were methodically placed everywhere and were conventionally stuck at perfectly straight angles. I wondered if it was some new kind of parking system they would eventually introduce. But by the time our beers were done I had pretty much moved the idea and the ponderment to the back of my brain where I store most of my random, useless data.



Fast forward to today. I got off the train and saw all along Wabash Ave. little blue stickers! These were not just on the parking meters (for downtown they have the parking station, not the individual meters) but on the street signs as well. These, just like my little yellow friends up north, were the same size and font but said "Zone 1" instead. For some reason my last DC trip popped into my brain where the taxi system works on zones for the figuring of fares....way to many f's in that one.... So now I'm wondering if Chicago is trying to institute the same method? Will our transportation now be dependant on zones instead of distance? Am I just totally making all this shit up? Anyone in the Chicago area, or who has more time than me to surf the wide Internet world and figure it out for me, let me know what the new "Zones" are all about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

these just popped up on my street (downtown), too.

I asked google what it meant, and it said: this

(short version: it has to do with how much time you get for a quarter on a parking meter)