Monday, July 7, 2008

All it takes is 30 seconds

Sorry for the delay in posting - I have been off the grid on vacation, which while wonderful was a bit exhausting and I'm glad to be back. This is another one of those "something's bugging me" posts, but I promise it will not be nearly as gross as the milk post.

Lately I have seen this ad on TV for some random Pizza Hut special. The premise is that they have some $5 deal all the time, no "blackout" dates, no restrictions. Fine. I have no problem with this. However on closer inspection of the actors hired to play out their 30 second drama I begin to get more and more annoyed each time it airs.

It is set in an office boardroom. The "geek" guy is at the whiteboard showing off his year long calendar that he has created with all the nearby pizza specials and their availability marked off. Those with blacked out boxes (and there are quite a few) indicate a day with no special. Then "hot/young" guy stands up, rips off the painstakingly created cover sheet with the blacked out boxes to reveal a clear calendar and says something about how they could just order the great and wonderful Pizza Hut special and never have to deal with restrictions. Moral of the story? Geek guy gets shut down and hot/young guy saves the day.

As someone who more often than not finds herself in the geek category, and to be honest is pretty damn okay with that, especially when I know how to format my own excel sheets, I'm getting pretty tired of television showing me that I am not in the "winner" category. It's not blatant (usually), and it's not all the time, but it's these little 30 second spots along with all the dishwashing and laundry ads that continually reinforce the male ineptitude for washing anything, that sometimes makes me look long and hard in the mirror at who I am. Nine times out of ten, I'm happy with what looks back, but I worry about the other girls out there who may be looking in their own mirrors late at night and aren't hitting as high a percent of satisfaction.

1 comment:

Robguy said...

Do they have chicks on TV?