Wednesday, July 23, 2008

3...2....1....

This week (and last) are really really busy so I don't have much time for a full fledged update or rant. So far this summer I've seen Feist at Ravinia, Public Enemy at Pitchfork, Hulk and Hancock. I'm going to War Games tomorrow and hopefully will get to see the newest Batman sometime soon. Also coming up is a trip to a horse race track (first time for me!), my birthday with possible festivities, and a visit from my brother as he swings his way around the country before jettisoning off to a tropical island to live and play.

But today I saw something I just had to share. The newest gadgetry found at Staples. DVD's that will self destruct in 48 hours. Okay, so maybe they don't actually blow up (my coworker wouldn't let me use the company credit card to find out) - but how else would this work? I could read the webpage, but that's no fun. Instead I like to believe that after two days of activation they have a James Bondian demise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think i heard about this awful idea a couple years ago. Apparently, there's ink in between 2 layers of plastic on the disk that, after 48 hours, blocks the laser from reading the information.

...because, you know, we don't create enough garbage already in this country.

Robguy said...

I heard about this a number of years ago, at the time they were thinking of using it for an outfit like netflix. They send you the movie, you have a couple days to watch it from the date you break the seal and you don't have anything to mail back. Guess they've broken out into the mainstream. Like Will said, don't we create enough trash?