Thursday, December 27, 2007

Book Update

It's been awhile since I've updated the side bar with what I'm reading - I haven't stopped reading, I've just stopped updating. I hope to get better at that in the new year, but for now I will try and reach back into my memory for a quick summary of what I've had my nose buried in for the past few weeks.....
I finished off the Fable series by Bill Willingham, well caught up might be the more appropriate word. So far nine volumes have been bound and I read through all those, now I either have to go out and buy single issues (not ready for that level of geekdom quite yet) or wait till May when another volume is released....yeah I'm opting for waiting. As for a review, I enjoyed it though the story starts to wander somewhere around volume 6 or so and I was worried it wouldn't get back on track. It will be interesting to see where they go with the main stories, and I'm glad Bigby was brought back in and they found a way to get around that whole exile thing.

My mother sent me both Terror Dream: Fear and Fantasy in post 9/11 America and Backlash by Susan Faludi. I've finished Terror and it's fantastic. Initially I had no interest in another analysis of post 9-11 America, but Faludi's take on it is engaging, educating, and interesting. The ties she makes into our history are well done and helps make the book more interesting than a lot of others I've come across trying to dissect the events of that day. If you know anyone who needs a good feministy read - this is a great one.

Right before Thanksgiving I read through the whole Belgariad and Mallorean series by David Eddings (and I might have already blogged about it...). These are old favorites of mine, I've read through each five book sets 3 or 4 times each. My whole family are fans, it's a fall back book for each of us. When I went home for the turkey day weekend I snagged the Polgara and Belgarath books from my mom's shelves and finished those up shortly after the long weekend. A re-read on those as well, they are still delightful.

From the library I read Mr. Pip on my mom's suggestion. It was an intriguing book, starts calm and peaceful and then enter stage left some pretty violent actions, but since it doesn't destroy the meaning of the book I'm leaving it on my recommend list.

I feel like there should be more but without being at home in front of my stacks of books it's hard to say. I'm reading two books right now. First, Watchmen. Another graphic novel and a phenomenal one at that. Written by Alan Moore, who is a genius, it's a comic that is still relevant 20 years after it was first brought to life. Second is Lovely in Her Bones, by Sharyn McCrumb - a christmas present from my mother. I'm 64 pages in (it's only 220 all together) and so far I'm enjoying it. I've read other stuff of hers and enjoyed it so I'm expecting to enjoy this one as well.

No comments: