Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Time Warp

What I hope is the very last installment of
A View from my Office

A little background information to set the scene... Part of my job has been to work with and staff our board of directors. It's not always fun but some of been some really amazing women so its been worthwhile. And while I understand that I know them better than they know me, there are 2 memories that are my favorite that sum up so much of what the work is like.
1) A past board member insisted on calling me Jennifer all day at an event, while I was wearing a name tag that clearly did not say Jennifer

2) I received an envelope that I had created and sent out which was pre-addressed to me with one of the letters in my last name crossed out and changed. Because ya know, after 30 years I'm still having trouble with all those M's and N's.

Which brings us to the final tale....
Today marks the day that I will send out my very last Board mailing. A Board mailing, for those not in this particular position, is what my organization sends each month before a Board meeting and contains all the hand outs, agenda, etc. A standard part of each mailing is the memo. This is where the Executive Director creates a letter that talks about what the meeting will be about and provides any short, necessary updates.
In today's memo there was a paragraph at the very end announcing my imminent departure. Excited to see what not just my boss, but THE boss, of our tiny little world would have to say about me and my dedication since that fateful summer in 2006 when I joined up with the gang, I eagerly read through it.
There it is...thanks for my outstanding service...aw, that's nice...for the past...wait, what...THREE YEARS.
Yup. After four years with this organization I have been kindly thanked for my three years of service. That boys and girls, is the sound of the bell indicating this game is officially over.

No comments: