Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Welcome to my Office

A Typical Office Interaction
Brought to you by JJ
The Corporation that brought you Jaded and Tired of My Job

(All conversations slightly modified to get across the true sentiment of speaker and listener)

Because it's not really there unless you print it
Tuesday, 10:45 AM:
Supervisor approaches my desk after a meeting, waving piece of paper in my general direction and says "I found this on the server, but I don't really know where, man is that thing disorganized! Too bad I don't' actually have any constructive ideas on how to fix it, maybe stating it repeatedly will clean it up...but anyway, here is something that was started by someone at some point and you should use this to update the process we talked about."

Supervisor continues to wave printed out piece of paper at me as though through the magic of seeing the paper I will psychically know what and where this document can be found. I start to think (yes, not even start to ask, but start to think) of asking, "Couldn't you have emailed me a link to where that was?" but think better of it since engaging the beast for longer than necessary will surely flare up either my ulcers or my hankering for a cold stiff drink.

I instead say "Okay, I'll do that" offering no further engagement to paper waving supervisor. Supervisor stands for just as many moments as it takes to be socially awkward and then shuffles back to office to probably print more random things found throughout the mystery that is our server.

I go back to listening to Pandora and think about finding that document but instead start blogging while all the time thinking, yes, this is my life.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Hang in there. future librarian!

Robguy said...

I guess you can always do a 'text in file' search... maybe over the weekend depending on how much you have on the server.